Saturday, 3 April 2010
About the food:
This is an extremely easy to cook dish and always had been my favourite. I learnt this recipe from my auntie,for which I am grateful to her, and ever since I made this, it had always been a big hit among my friends and all. To be honest, this is the only dish which has never let me down. And this is very easy to prepare, you need not to be a cook to prepare this: try this out, I can promise you, you would like it! I would love to hear from you, wish you all the best!
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 medium aubergines
2 cup onion paste (add two green chillies to the onion paste, if you want to)
2 tbsp ginger paste
1/2 tbsp ginger paste
vegetable oil for deep frying
4/5 green chillies, chopped
a bunch of fresh green coriander leaves, chopped
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp whole cumin, dry roasted
250 ml plain yogurt
1/3 cup water
1 pinch of turmeric powder
salt to taste
1. Cut the Aubergines in 1 inch wide circles.wash and put it in a bowl, sprinkle it with salt and 1 tbsp sugar and a pinch of turmeric. Cover and keep it aside for half an hour.
Special tip: if the aubergines are kept as above, they release water from inside, and require much less oil when cooked.
2. Heat pan. Pour the oil, and when it smoulders, deep fry the aubergines.Take care not to over-fry them, as they can become charred. But also take care not to under-cook them: they should be crispy and golden brown when they are done.Arrange them in a single layer on a serving tray.
3. Heat pan. Pour 4 tbsp oil, and let it smoulder. Put the onion paste and fry it for 5 mins. Add the garlic and ginger paste. Continue frying on medium flame by tossing and turning them, until the oil separates. This stage might be a little long, but carry on patiently.
4. After the oil has separated out, pour in the tomato puree. continue frying for some more time, until the oil separates again. Add salt to taste.
4. Pour in this gravy on the single layer of the fried aubergines on the serving dish.
5. Put the yogurt in a mixing bowl and add the water.mix it well. Add a pinch of salt, cumin and coriander powder, roasted cumin seeds, and mix again.
6. Pour this yogurt on top of the gravy covering aubergines on the serving dish.
7.Garnish with chopped coriande, dry roasted cumin and green chillies (optional) and serve.
Accompaniment: Best served with Paratha/Naan.